About Us

The Black Bulls Head (formerly named Bulls Head) was believed to have been re-built during Edwardian times 1901-1911, with ownership belonging to Hanson’s Kimberley.

Having been a successful community pub for many years, it fell into the hands of Greene King with many tenants coming and going, leaving a feeling of uncertainty with the clientele.

When the freehold came up, it caught our eyes and the acquisition was completed on the 9.2.2012. In order to get the pub ship shape and reverted back to a Real Ale house, we took the tough decision to close the pub for 2 weeks, this allowed us to remodel the bar, redecorate throughout and a total overall of the cellar and the installation of new equipment. Making it warm and welcoming for the locals of Openwoodgate  and beyond, adding two roaring open fires, rich red walls and opening the bar up to make it easy working and a great atmosphere within the pub.

We re-opened the doors to the public at 5pm on February 24th 2012. People’s faces lit up left right and centre with a big sigh of relief. The Black Bulls Head is definitely a place worth visiting, rightly deserving its place on the map.